Attention Pistol Permit Holders:
Please be advised that changes have been made to the pistol license amendment process.
Effective October 1st, 2020, the pistol permit office will be operating from the Sheriff’s Office, Civil Division located at the Public Safety Facility, 157 Steadman Way, Howes Cave, NY 12092.
An amendment packet may be obtained from the public website or is available for pick up at the following locations:
Schoharie County Courthouse – Monday through Friday 9:30 am – 4:00 pm
Please use the Main Street Entrance, face mask required.
Schoharie County Sheriff’s Office – Monday through Friday 8:30 am – 4:00 pm Enter through the main entrance and proceed to the Civil Office window, face mask required.
Once the packet is complete, it can be submitted in the following manner:
Mail to: Schoharie County Sheriff’s Office, Attn: Pistol Clerk, PO Box 159, Howes Cave, NY 12092
Drop Off In Person: Schoharie County Sheriff’s Office, Civil Division, Schoharie County Public Safety Facility, 157 Steadman Way, Howes Cave, NY 12092
**Please be sure to include your phone number so that we can notify you when the amendment is complete. Amendments WILL NOT be processed while you wait.
Once the amendment is complete, you will be contacted by phone and an appointment will be scheduled for pick up. We will no longer mail the completed license to you. You will be required to pick up the new permit in person. At the time of pick up, you must surrender your old license or your newly amended license and/or purchase coupon will NOT be issued to you.
will increase from $87.00 to $88.25.
to Qualify for an Unrestricted Concealed Carry Permit
Pistol License Application Process:
You may obtain an application online or at Sheriff’s Office located at 157 Steadman Way Howes Cave, NY 12092, between the hours of 8:00 am to 4:00 pm, Monday through Friday.
You must meet the following qualifications:
- Must Have a residence in Schoharie County.
- Must be at least 21 years old.
- No criminal conviction which prohibits possession of firearms.
- Must have four character references who are residents of Schoharie County.
- Character references should have known you for AT LEAST SIX (6) MONTHS. They MUST SIGN both applications in person and give their physical address AND their mailing address if different. They MUST use BLACK INK.
- Character references should NOT BE your relatives, related to each other, or employees of any Law Enforcement Agency.
- Must attend the Handgun Safety Course provided by Schoharie County Sheriff’s Office.
*** Please include proof of Recertification with Supplemental and Unrestricted Pistol License applications.
When all application paperwork has been completed, call (518) 295-2226 to make an appointment to process the application. At the time of your appointment, there will be fingerprints taken. Please bring the following to your appointment:
- Paperwork must be completed in black ink or typed
- You MUST complete TWO applications, Both must be individually signed by the Applicant and individually Notarized
- $88.25 U.S. Postal Money Order payable to SCSO LIVE SCAN ESCROW
- $5.00 U.S. Postal Money Order payable to SCHOHARIE COUNTY SHERIFF
- Photo ID required
Pistol License Fees:
|New Application S.C.S.O. Processing||$ 5.00|
|New Application N.Y.S.D.C.J.S. / F.B.I. Processing of fingerprints||$ 88.25|
|Transfer Out of Schoharie County (must have two money orders)||$ 5.00 each|
|Dealer License||$ 10.00|
|Gunsmith License||$ 10.00|
|Dealer/Gunsmith License||$ 20.00|