Attention Pistol Permit Holders:
Amendment forms can be found on the Schoharie County public website or available for pick up at:
Schoharie County Sheriff’s Office, Civil Division. Located at the Public Safety Facility. 157 Steadman Way, Howes Cave, NY 12092. Enter through the main entrance and proceed to the Civil office windows. Phone 518-295-2226.
Hours of operation: Monday thru Friday, 8:00 am – 4:00 pm. Amendments can be done while you wait. Please stop in by 3:30 pm to be processed the same day (single transaction).
Drop Box is available in the entrance way, if after hours. (Please be sure to include your phone number.)
Accepted forms of payment: Check or Money Order.
We will no longer mail the completed Permit to you. You will be required to pick up the new permit in person. At the time of pick up, you must surrender your old permit or your newly amended permit and/or purchase coupon will NOT be issued.
UPDATED POLICY ON FIREARM PURCHASE AMENDMENTS
The Schoharie County Sheriff’s Office will no longer issue purchase coupons for firearm purchase amendments.
You will need an amendment form, receipt of purchase, Drivers License AND Pistol Permit.
The amendment will be sent to the Judge for review. Once approved, the Judge will issue the purchase coupon.
We will call you when the purchase coupon is ready. Payment will be $3.00 (check or money order)
New plastic card style Pistol Permits are now available. If you have an existing permit you must fill out an Application for a Supplemental Pistol Permit and pay a $5.00 fee in order to get a new plastic permit.
Pistol License Application Process
You may obtain an application online or at Sheriff’s Office located at 157 Steadman Way Howes Cave, NY 12092, between the hours of 8:00 am to 4:00 pm, Monday through Friday.
You must meet the following qualifications:
- Must Have a residence in Schoharie County.
- Must be at least 21 years old.
- No criminal conviction which prohibits possession of firearms.
- Must have four (4) character references who are residents of Schoharie County.
- Character references should have known you for AT LEAST SIX (6) MONTHS. They MUST SIGN both applications in person and give their physical address AND their mailing address if different. They MUST use BLACK INK.
- Character references should NOT BE your relatives, related to each other, or employees of any Law Enforcement Agency.
- Must attend the Handgun Safety Course provided by Schoharie County Sheriff’s Office.
When all application paperwork has been completed, call (518) 295-2226 to make an appointment to process the application. At the time of your appointment, there will be fingerprints taken.
Please bring the following to your appointment:
- Paperwork must be completed in black ink or typed
- You MUST complete TWO applications, Both must be individually signed by the Applicant and individually Notarized
- $88.25 U.S. Postal Money Order payable to SCSO LIVE SCAN ESCROW
- $5.00 U.S. Postal Money Order payable to SCHOHARIE COUNTY SHERIFF
Photo ID required
Pistol License Fees
|New Application S.C.S.O. Processing||$ 5.00|
|New Application N.Y.S.D.C.J.S. / F.B.I. Processing of fingerprints||$ 88.25|
|Transfer Out of Schoharie County (must have two money orders)|
1 Payable to Schoharie County Clerk
1 Payable to “County Clerk of _______” (new County of residence)
|$ 5.00 each|
|Dealer License||$ 10.00|
|Gunsmith License||$ 10.00|
|Dealer/Gunsmith License||$ 20.00|